Today I made a decision about the deck. I had originally planned to have a StormBoyz launch platform over the small deck cut out. However I recently acquired a couple of Deffkoptas, of which I hoped to incorporate at least one of on to the warship. After much deliberation the only logical place to do this seems to be to make a kind of helipad-come-deck-lift over the hole. I’m sure I can fit the Stormboyz in elsewhere, maybe a little further forward.
Anyway, as you can see I’ve enlarged the aperture a little to accommodate the size of a Deffkopta. I’ve also mirrored half of the decagon shaped structure that is the base of the port side turret. This wall will support the platform, the majority of which will be made up of the lift. I would like to make it so the position of the lift is adjustable to either be below deck or above.
I have finally got the main deck stuck on! With that the shape of the boat really starts to become more apparent and I started thinking back to some of my earlier sketches where I had a shark’s Jaw at the bow. With the help of some card, I had a go at mocking up what it could look like if, rather than just painting teeth at the front, it was made to look like the Orks had constructed a big metal jaw and bolted it to the front of the boat.
I think it looks pretty menacing. Once you consider where the waterline will be, it should in theory look like a shark’s head coming out of the water. There are of course a couple of practical considerations. Firstly, it interferes a bit with the anchor box on the port side bow. And secondly, it could make lifting the boat out of the water rather interesting!
I have been starting to think seriously about what I’m going to do to the outside of the hull to “Ork it up” a bit. A main part of this will be in the colour scheme, but I’m also thinking it would be good to add some typical Ork armour plating, particularly on the stern section that sticks up surrounding the rear decks. This sketch shows how it could possibly look around the stern cut-outs.
I have also been considering the space on the lower rear deck. In the Our Lass II model this area would normally house the fishing net drums, but as I won’t have any need for those the area is empty. One choice is to just leave it empty, after all the only way to view inside is to look through the small cut-outs on the stern. But it also seems like a great place to have a sort of engine/boiler room. I can increase the visibility of such a scene by not using the Upper deck cover. So something along the lines of a big furnace with pipes and dials all over and a poor little Grot shovelling in coal for all he’s worth!
The following sketches show a few ideas for the conversion of Our Lass II in to an Ork Warship. The first sketch shows an idea for a launch pad for Stormboyz, some deck detail in the form of leaking oil drums, and an external helm for the Captain.
This sketch shows a possible way to modify the main cabin, along with the addition of a funnel and various exhausts.
A crow’s nest for the mast complete with gretchin look out and some possible detailing for the bow.
Finally, a claw for the crane and some cannon emplacements on the deck.