Wheel House

This weekend I built the basic structure of the wheel house. I’m planning on adding some kind of walkway around the sides about halfway up, so that it will become a two tier structure. Some of the windows will be opened up as doors leading on to the walkway, others maybe blocked off etc.

The roof structure, was also constructed, quite a complex build given all the curves and angles, but goes together quite well considering. I want this top platform to be where my captain will stand along with steering wheel etc.

And here it is together, not yet stuck until I’ve converted and painted the interior.

Side Ladders & Clump Recess

Yet more holes in the hull have been made over the course of this past week.

Side Ladders

I finally got the side ladders fitted after sometime spent getting the hull level so I could mark the cut-outs vertical (90 degrees to the waterline). The ladders, which were built a while a go, were then super-glued in place and then epoxy’d for good measure. Just a little bit of filler required to give a good finish.

Clump Recess

I have also cut out and fitted the clump recess at the stern of the boat, a fairly simple procedure.

Decks

This weekend’s major task has been to make some progress with the decks. First up was a trip to the local glass shop, where I was able to get a nice thick piece of mirror to use a flat surface on which to build my main deck. Seems to be a slight error with the measurements for the deck construction in the instructions, either that or the deck itself is too short. Here is the deck photographed from the underside.

I also took the plunge and glued in the lower rear deck. Viewed here from above at the bottom of the picture we can see the bulkhead to which the main deck will attach. Whilst through the access hatch the connecting rod that operates the rudder can be seen in place.

Crane Assembled

Here is shot of the crane fully assembled. Once its painted, there will be more tubing to connect the various pipes and hydraulic rams together. So far my only addition from the original kit are the circular plates which cap the joints. I feel this gives a nicer finish than seeing the ends of the tubes and also means the crane can still be separated in to pieces as the joints just pop together.

Gantry & Crane Assembly

Over the past few days I have been assembling the various elements of the gantry and crane. Although in the boat’s final guise it wont be hauling nets, I think the mechanical arm fitted with some kind of claw will be a great feature. The assembly itself has been very enjoyable, with no major issues. Just have to take care to measure and check everything before cutting as each element of the crane needs to fit well to the next. Still a fair bit to do on it, adding pipes etc and it will need painting before all the elements come together.

End of Year Update!

As the year draws to an end, I thought I had best provide an update of all the little bits and pieces I have been doing over the Christmas holiday.

  • Prop shaft support has been glued in place.
  • Motor mount created, tested and fitted.
  • Bow thruster glued in place and tubes trimmed and filed flush with the hull.
  • Deck support strips have been fitted all around the top edge of the hull and also for the lower deck.
  • Hull side ladders have been constructed in preparation for fitting once the slots have been cut in the hull.

Hopefully wont be long now before I can get the decks fitted, which is when the real fun will begin. And finally a couple of photos illustrating most of the above.