A few months have passed without an update here, but work on the warship has been slowly progressing. Mainly it’s been a case of working my way around the hull and deck and adding plating and rivets, which once seen a couple of times it becomes a bit repetitive to keep posting about. So since the last post the front deck area has been detailed and the various orks, grots and other items have been arranged.
The small deck area leading out of the superstructure has had fencing/railings placed around the edges and most of its deck plating applied.
I’ve most recently been working on the starboard side, along with the hull side plating and deck detailing I’ve also made significant progress with the Killa Kan boarding ramp and harpoon/grappling launcher for bring victims in close for boarding.
I have also started work on the gantry and grabbing arm. Apart from some orkification in the shape of repair plates and rivets I’ve also fitted the claw I created a long time ago and a simple mechanism for allowing easy removal of the arm during transit.
Still a fair bit of work to do to completely finish these areas, but my current aim is to get enough done so that I can prime and paint the hull soon.
With the Zzap Kannon painted I decided to continue work on the fore deck area. A railing in the same style as the one which runs along the port side was added, dipping down at the front for clearance of the zzap kannon barrels. Once this was done I added some locating plates for the zzap kannon mounts and then continued to plate and rivet the remaining deck area.
Along the front port side another interesting shaped railing was constructed, dipping down for for the small kannon’s firing position and leaving a clearing for the mooring bollard.
This past week I have been working on the rear of the superstructure. The wall of armour plating has been continued around the back and I’ve added a small curved section of railing around the chimney stack. The chimney stack has also been extended downwards to connect to the main deck.
On the main chimney stack I’ve added some baffles to the opening to provide some interest and detail. I have also fitted a ‘wooden’ platform around the stack as a possible sniper position for a grot or two.
I’ve also added some drips on to the side of main chimney stack where it sits below the oozing pipe.
Having continued the armour plating on the port side towards the rear I decided that there was an opportunity to create an opening on the taller hull sides at the stern.
Here is the basic construction.
And here it is after adding armour plating detail.
And finally I pulled a few bits together from the Ork Nobz Sprue to create an Ork using a telescope to peer out of the opening.
Continuing with the task of armour plating around the top of the hull, I have now applied it to the port side. Again I have added a couple of portholes and added other little details like the the broken upright.
Another little update showing progress so far this week. I’ve continued the haphazard armour plating I used on the bow around the starboard side. This cladding will only be applied to the top section which I feel is enough to give an Orky feel to the hull. The photo highlights a couple of portals that I’ve added for extra interest. The photo also shows the lack of teeth on this side of the shark jaw… my current task is to rectify this!
Some earlier photos have shown a glimpse of a mast position at the bow of the ship. I had always planned to retain this from the original kit, however apart from getting in the way of other things i want to do on the deck, I think it was also not very warship like.
I therefore decided to remove the mast, and in its place I’m going to have a nice big 3 barrelled gun of some description. Rather than place this straight on to the deck I wanted to raise it up a little, so I have built a small foredeck.
Starting with a basic structure, the hardest part was getting the angles correct so that the front wall followed the same profile as the hull.
I decided I wanted the bow to look quite heavily armoured, with the shark’s teeth you can imagine the Orks quite happily ramming their victims. I also added viewing/firing ports around the front. Here you can see the fibre glass hull scratched and roughed up to help ensure the armour plating sticks.
This final shot shows further progress with the detailing.