Continuing construction of the Stormboyz launch area I have added a safety barrier along the walkway using aluminium mesh, brass rods and some styrene angle. I’ve also added the ladder up to the catapult platform and a smaller ladder up to the new catapult winch platform…
The catapult winch offers the Stormboy some mechanical assistance to stretch the bungee for maximum altitude…
The Grot operating the winch is converted from the Ork Gretchin sprue. He was originally firing a pistol so needed a new left hand. I also changed the angle of his foot to look like he pushing with all his weight to throw the lever…
I also gave him some hair… just for fun!
Having continued the armour plating on the port side towards the rear I decided that there was an opportunity to create an opening on the taller hull sides at the stern.
Here is the basic construction.
And here it is after adding armour plating detail.
And finally I pulled a few bits together from the Ork Nobz Sprue to create an Ork using a telescope to peer out of the opening.
The wheel house has been receiving some attention over the last week, although its still very much a work in progress I wanted to run through the modifications to date.
The top half of the front wall has been extended this now slopes in the opposite direction to the original and sits on the structure that I have added to the deck. On the roof two circular sponsons have been added, which will be the mounts for some Anti-aircraft artillery… more on that shortly.
The doorway will lead out on to this raised area, and I’ve added a couple of cut-outs which will have shutters and be used as firing positions. The ork pictured will be holding one of these shutters up as he fires.
On the port side I have cut out an access doorway which will lead on to a raised walkway halfway up the wheel house. I’ve also blanked off a couple of the original windows.
On the starboard side the opening is much larger… this is going to be a Killa Kan workshop/hangar. Note also the stairs leading up to the gun platform.
I have begun building a flak gun for the starboard roof sponson. The barrels will be mounted two on top of two. I also found an old Bad Moon boy which will work well as the gun operator.
Armour plating details has been added to half of the turret so far with various bits of damage and shoddy ork workmanship. I’ve also been working out the pose for the turret occupant with parts from the Ork Nobz sprue.
I’ve spent most evenings this week sketching and sticking various bits of card on trying to work out what I’ll be adding to the deck. These sketches give an idea of how I want to extend the original wheelhouse. The wheelhouse will have two tiers, the bottom tier will extend forward on to the deck. The main feature of the port side will be a huge twin barrelled cannon.
One of the major obstacles has been the curvature of the deck, which cambers across the width and has a concave curve along the length towards the bow. Cutting anything to fit to this means some careful measuring and guess work.
Below is the beginnings of the deck structure. As the wheelhouse is removable to allow access to the workings, the extension is glued to the deck but not the wall. With some careful positioning of armour plate and other details this join should eventually be all but invisible. Note how the height of the wall reduces the further forward it gets, although the top remains parallel to the waterline.
Spent some time this weekend working on a platform for the helm, this is where the captain of the ship will be standing, along with his Gretchin helms man.
Starting with a piece of plastic card, cut to the shape I had decided upon, I then clad the deck with .5mm plastic ‘plates’ of various shapes and sizes. A few strips and some tread plate were added to give that cobbled together feel. I then added over 300 rivets made from sliced up styrene rod and individually glued on. Think maybe I was a little too neat, especially with the rivet spacing.
The “safety” barrier, not that Orks would feel the need for such things, was made from a strip of aluminium mesh used for car bodywork repairs. supported with brass rods and finished off with some styrene “L” section.
As you can see its still a work in progress, especially towards the rear where I’m not 100% sure how it will interact with what’s behind it. The hole in the platform is going to be a small lift for getting up and down.
There’s not been much in the way of progress on the main ship build recently. But I’ve been tinkering with building the helm. The wheel itself is scratch built from bits of styrene rod and card. Whist the ‘helmsman’ is a converted Grot Assistant… my first attempt at using Green Stuff.