I’ve been working on the hull around the bow and jaw… so far I’m very happy with how the gun metal base is taking the weathering effects I’m applying.
Today I reached a pretty major milestone in the project.
With all the little bits of outstanding detail finally added I was able to set about priming the hull and deck. First task was to mark the waterline and mask off the previously painted lower section of the hull. I also blocked off all of the openings with paper and used masking fluid on a few areas that will have things glued to them. I then primed everything black. Once that was dry I sprayed on a can of Humbrol Gun Metal Acrylic to the hull sides, leaving the deck black for now.
I’m a bit disappointed with the Gun Metal, it pretty much looks dark grey (photo shows it a bit lighter than it actually is) until you get up really close to see a few sparkly bits. I was always going to weather it quite heavily so this isn’t the final finish, but I was hoping for a more metallic base to start from.
A few months have passed without an update here, but work on the warship has been slowly progressing. Mainly it’s been a case of working my way around the hull and deck and adding plating and rivets, which once seen a couple of times it becomes a bit repetitive to keep posting about. So since the last post the front deck area has been detailed and the various orks, grots and other items have been arranged.
The small deck area leading out of the superstructure has had fencing/railings placed around the edges and most of its deck plating applied.
I’ve most recently been working on the starboard side, along with the hull side plating and deck detailing I’ve also made significant progress with the Killa Kan boarding ramp and harpoon/grappling launcher for bring victims in close for boarding.
I have also started work on the gantry and grabbing arm. Apart from some orkification in the shape of repair plates and rivets I’ve also fitted the claw I created a long time ago and a simple mechanism for allowing easy removal of the arm during transit.
Still a fair bit of work to do to completely finish these areas, but my current aim is to get enough done so that I can prime and paint the hull soon.
Having continued the armour plating on the port side towards the rear I decided that there was an opportunity to create an opening on the taller hull sides at the stern.
Here is the basic construction.
And here it is after adding armour plating detail.
And finally I pulled a few bits together from the Ork Nobz Sprue to create an Ork using a telescope to peer out of the opening.
Another little update showing progress so far this week. I’ve continued the haphazard armour plating I used on the bow around the starboard side. This cladding will only be applied to the top section which I feel is enough to give an Orky feel to the hull. The photo highlights a couple of portals that I’ve added for extra interest. The photo also shows the lack of teeth on this side of the shark jaw… my current task is to rectify this!