With the Zzap Kannon painted I decided to continue work on the fore deck area. A railing in the same style as the one which runs along the port side was added, dipping down at the front for clearance of the zzap kannon barrels. Once this was done I added some locating plates for the zzap kannon mounts and then continued to plate and rivet the remaining deck area.
Along the front port side another interesting shaped railing was constructed, dipping down for for the small kannon’s firing position and leaving a clearing for the mooring bollard.
Here is the Zzap Kannon in all its painted glory…
Continuing construction of the Stormboyz launch area I have added a safety barrier along the walkway using aluminium mesh, brass rods and some styrene angle. I’ve also added the ladder up to the catapult platform and a smaller ladder up to the new catapult winch platform…
The catapult winch offers the Stormboy some mechanical assistance to stretch the bungee for maximum altitude…
The Grot operating the winch is converted from the Ork Gretchin sprue. He was originally firing a pistol so needed a new left hand. I also changed the angle of his foot to look like he pushing with all his weight to throw the lever…
I also gave him some hair… just for fun!
This last week I have been painting the Stormboy who has just lifted off from the take-off ramp. I was looking forward to painting this, firstly to see how the smoke trail was going to turn out and secondly to have my first attempt at using a technique called OSL. OSL or object source lighting is where the reflected colours are painted on to areas surrounding a light source giving the illusion of a glowing light. The effect is most noticeable in the final photo of this post. Overall I’m very pleased with how it all turned out.
I have now created the lower ramp for Stormboyz to take running take-offs from. The ramp itself is textured to look like planks of wood matching the shorter catapult ramp. I also wanted to have a Stormboy just lifting off…
This is the mount for the Stormboy on the ramp. A length of wire bent to follow his flight path so far, attached to the ramp with a blob of Greenstuff for extra strength. The wire was then wrapped in Florist’s wire to make gluing to the wire easier. I’ve then started to glue on scenic foliage with PVA glue to simulate the smoke trail.
Once the wire was completely covered with the foliage and the glue was dry, I’ve given a second coat of PVA to strengthen it enough to keep it in place and to paint.
The walkway has also been altered slightly. I decided rather than have a set of steps leading on to the walkway, I have stepped the walkway itself. I have also added the deck plates to the framework. Next step will be to construct the railings around the walkway.
I’ve finally started building one of the very first features I planned to have on the deck of my warship… a Stormboyz launch area.
The top platform of the structure has a catapult for gaining altitude quickly. Below that will be longer ramp for a running take-off. There is a walkway to the side of the main platform leading from the raised deck area from here there will be a ladder to access the catapult.
The catapult platform features a makeshift shield and assorted charred debris to contain the blast from take-off.
The bungee cord is simply a shaped piece of wire coated in Greenstuff and given a twisted/stretched texture.
A quick update showing the front turret after receiving a coat of primer.